If you’re Chinese you would know what Congee is. Or in my language, Jook. It’s a type of rice porridge. I remember eating it when I was sick or on Sundays.
Ever since I went off to college I ate less and less of it. I wasn’t home anymore where my mum can make it for me and if I went out for it, it would cost an arm and a leg.
My mum is letting me take the 3 quart (?) Crock Pot to college for my last semester and I am so excited.
So excited, I decided to try it out and make congee last night.
I know it may look disgusting but it tastes better than it looks.
- 1/2 cup rice
- 5- 7 cups water (may need more)
- 1/3 cup raw shelled peanuts
- 2 preserved duck eggs, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- Place all ingredients in the 3 quart crock pot except for the scallions.
- Bring to a boil and cook for at least five to eight hours. It could have a tendency of boiling over. If so, just stick a small fork in between the lid and the pot.
- Add additional water if necessary. More water for more soupiness, less for a thicker consistency.
- Add scallions as garnish.
You can add anything else you want in there. Chicken, vegetables, shrimp, etc.
Mine came out a little bland but that’s how I like it because I’m not a big fan of using salt. I also added a lot of water. More ingredients in the pot, more water needed.
It also depends on what you put in there that makes the color. If I didn’t add some of the ingredients, it would have came out white. Keep that in mind. And enjoy.